The patch notes below detail all of the changes made to the game since entering closed beta on February 20, 2013.
Patch Notes Release Version 1.3
Released: Tuesday, May 14, 2013
- New Feature: Keyboard Controls. Access the controls through the new control button. You can now customize hot-keys for your most frequently used spells!
- New Feature: Keyboard Control Layouts. Added support for AZERTY and Dvorak keyboard layouts in addition to QWERTY.
- New Feature: Hard Mode - Unlockable after completing a playthrough. Base blood harvested from enemies is decreased by 1. Fame required to level up is increased by a factor of 2. The player does not start with any heals. Enemy health and damage is increased by 25%. Exhausted enemies do not lose their immunities.
- New Feature: Statistics. The statistics will track your actions across multiple playthroughs.
- New Feature: "Boss Key" - The Statistics spreadsheet is unlocked and can be quickly accessed by pressing the F key from within the game. You can add corporate logos and work to this spreadsheet to mask the fact that you are playing a game at work. NOTE: If you feel the need to use a "boss key" you probably should not be playing this at work. I will not be held liable if you get yourself fired for playing a video game at work.
- New Feature: Title Screen. There is now a title screen when opening the game and after the player dies. The logo is dynamic and will change based on the player's progress throughout the game.
- New Terrain: Movable Walls, Pressure Switches and Switch Walls. Move the Movable Walls on to the Pressure Switches to trigger an explosion on Switch Walls connected to the Pressure Switch. This can allow the player to access new parts of the arena.
- New Achievement: Under Pressure - Push a Movable Wall on top of a Pressure Switch.
- New Achievement: Explorer - Visit all 12 Arenas.
- New Achievement: The Emperor Has No Clothes - Kill The Emperor. [HARD MODE].
- New Achievement: Heroic Saviour - Kill The Ultimate Evil. [HARD MODE].
- New Achievement: Hardest Hardcore - Achieve level 20 without investing any skill points. [HARD MODE].
- New Statistics Achievement: The Corporate Ladder - Kill 10 bosses.
- New Statistics Achievement: Lead a Workchop - Kill 25 bosses.
- New Statistics Achievement: Promotion by Default - Kill 50 bosses.
- New Statistics Achievement: Hostile Takeover - Kill 75 bosses.
- New Statistics Achievement: Conflict Management - Kill 100 bosses.
- New Statistics Achievement: Chief Executioner Officer - Kill 250 bosses.
- New Statistics Achievement: Famous I-X.
- New Statistics Achievement: Brawler I-X.
- New Statistics Achievement: Marksman I-X.
- New Statistics Achievement: Sorcerer I-X.
- New Statistics Achievement: Scavenger I-X.
- New Collection: Arena Tourist.
- User interface changes: Buttons now organized into functional rows and sections.
- New arena possibility for Arena 2 - The Box.
- New arena possibility for Arena 3 - The Obstacle Course.
- New arena possibility for Arena 4 - The Great Barrier.
- New tutorial: Terrain summary added as a help button.
- There is now a message in the status window that details the blood harvested from a killed enemy.
- The use cost for Sap Energy has been increased from 2 to 3.
- The use cost for Energy Leech has been increased from 3 to 5.
- The damage from the enemy ability Reflect Damage will now be reduced if the player has Shield active prior to attacking.
- The damage from the enemy ability Reflect Damage will now be nullified if the player has Immunity active prior to attacking.
- The achievement Magical Mastery Tour has had its required number of points in Magic Mastery reduced from 20 to 10.
- Casting Telekinesis on an enemy will now perform a lunge attack after the enemy has been pulled to you.
- It is no longer possible to use a health item if you are already at maximum health.
- Moving the enemy using telekinesis no longer requires the enemy to have energy to complete the move.
- Blood found inside the Evil Piñata has been reduced from 50 to 30 blood.
- Caption for the close button in the Collections form now reads "Close" rather than "Cancel".
- Casting Lightning Strike or Arcane Torrent on an enemy that has the Abilities: Charge AND Immune to Magic Attacks or to Spells, will no longer trigger the charge effect.
- Typo correction in the status message for trying to perform a ranged attack when the player is in melee range.
- Webpages in the About window have been changed from plain text to hyperlinks.
- Fixed a graphical problem where the spellbook labels would not get updated correctly under certain circumstances.
- Exhausted enemies will no longer disappear upon entering The Secret Arena.
- Fire Bolt's cooldown effect will no longer trigger if the spell was cancelled at the target screen.
- It is now possible to use telekinesis on Exhausted or Blinded enemies.
- It is now possible to use telekinesis on Fast enemies.
- Reduced calculation time between turns, the game will now support faster play.
- The screen will no longer flash repeatedly if the enemy is stuck when trying to find the player through a charge attack or a telekinesis pull.
- Enemies will now animate properly when making multiple movements in a turn and will no longer appear to jump to a location.
- Fire will now extinguish properly if the player teleports away from standing in flames.
- The pit that is generated from teleporting off of cracked terrain will now properly impact enemy AI paths.
- Typo corrected in the Hardcore ending letter.
Patch Notes Release Version 1.2
Released: Tuesday, April 23, 2013
- New Feature: Import Data - You can now import old games! This allows you to continue your game in a new version without losing your progress! Special Thanks to Grant Lemasters.
- New Feature: Dynamic Player Avatar - The player's avatar will now change to reflect how the player is feeling.
- New tile: Bottomless Pits - This is a pit of certain death. You want to avoid these!
- New tile: Cracked Terrain - This is weak terrain that has cracks in it. This will break and turn into a Bottomless Pit when walked on or shot at.
- Moving offensively into the melee range of an enemy will now automatically perform a lunge attack on the enemy with the player's melee weapon. This will make it possible for the player to have the first hit in a melee confrontation.
- Thunder Storm: Erosion from the storm now breaks Cracked Terrain into Bottomless Pits.
- Construction: Using construction on Cracked Terrain or Bottomless Pits will fill in the holes to make the ground safe again.
- There is a luck based chance to cause an enemy standing on cracked terrain to plummet to their death with a ranged attack.
- New cheats: Spawn Wall, Spawn Pit, Spawn Crack.
- New collection: Emotional Breakdown.
- New achievement: My Emotions!!! - Collect all 10 Emotions.
- New achievement: Darkness Falls - Cause an enemy to fall down a bottomless pit.
- New arena possibility for Arena 2.
- New arena possibility for Arena 3.
- New arena possibility for Arena 4.
- The collections screen now shows your progress through the collection.
- Procedurally generated arenas should now appear more challenging.
- The status window now shows increases/decreases to fame earned per kill.
- Completing a collection now awards a permanent +5% increase to fame.
- New enemy type: Chance to Knockback. This enemy can fling the player away from the enemy.
- New enemy: Brown Bear (lvl 8-9). Chance to Knockback, Chance to Wound. Attacks with Claws.
- New enemy: Monstrosity (lvl 13-14). Chance to Knockback, Charge. Attacks with Huge Arms.
- New enemy: Corrupt Blacksmith (lvl 18-19). Chance to Knockback, Vulnerable to Ranged Attacks, Chance to Heal. Attacks with Sword and Throwing Hammer.
- Magic ranged items will now spawn with a range between 3 and 6 rather than a constant range of 5. The item's damage will scale so that magic items with less range will do more damage. This will add more variety to ranged item drops.
- Fire Bolt now has a cooldown of 3 turns between uses.
- Magic Mastery now has an incremental use cost of 1.
- Blood Transfusion now has an incremental use cost of 1.
- Fame rewarded for the bosses "Queen Bee", "Dragon", and "Grim Reaper" has been reduced by 25%.
- The number of potential enemy spawn points have increased from 4 to 20.
- Construction is now restricted in all spawn points unless it's being used to restore the terrain from cracks or bottomless pits.
- The final boss battle has been redesigned. There are now 4 magical pillars in the arena that can both help or hurt the boss depending on whether you can purify them. Attack the pillars with your melee or ranged attacks to purify them (stronger attacks will purify better). You will need to act quickly as the boss will gradually corrupt the pillars every turn.
- The final boss now gets angry when Exhausted. The enemy's ranged weapon range increases from 6 to 12.
- The game will no longer produce an error when the player saves the game on the hall of fame or achievements list, closes the game, then opens the game and selects to start a new game.
- The game will now provide better feedback when the player uses the ranged attack on self or on empty terrain.
- The game will no longer crash if the player disables letter popups, then opens letters at levels 5, 10, or 15 and then hits previous prior to defeating the arena boss.
- Letter 1 and Letter 4 have been rewritten to remove run-on sentences.
- Certain achievements and collectables will no longer disappear in the event that the player begins a new game immediately after unlocking the achievement or collectable.
- The selection box will now follow the player when teleporting to look consistent with the move controls.
Patch Notes Release Version 1.1
Released: Friday, March 29, 2013
- New unique items : EASTER EGG is now available in 5 different varieties: RED, BLUE, GREEN, SPOTTED, and STRIPED. Rare drop from killing a Bunny.
- New achievement: Poacher - Collect all 5 of the EASTER EGGS.
- New feature: Collections
- New magic melee item: Log
- Removed magic melee item: Baseball Bat
- All versions of Excel 2007 should no longer crash when killing an enemy. (Thank you for your patience!)
- Macros no longer appear in the viewable macro list. (If this doesn't mean anything to you, don't worry!)
- When the player dies with an "of Draining" or "of Exhaustion" weapon, the effects no longer persist after death.
- When the player dies with an "of Scouting" or "Fortuitous" weapon, the effects no longer persist after death.
- Alec Trevelyan will no longer respawn indefinitely when killed while exhausted. (I'm really sorry about that one!)
- Exhausting an enemy should now properly remove the Immune to Fire ability for all enemies.
- Healing yourself using a full heal item will no longer change the active target to yourself.
- Fire will no longer burn away HP boxes if an enemy is standing on top of them.
- "of Draining" weapon suffix effectiveness possibilities reduced from 1-30 to 1-7.
- "of Exhaustion" weapon suffix effectiveness possibilities reduced from 35-50 to 8-12.
- Alec Trevelyan will now restore his energy after staging his own death.
- The use cost of Bloodlust will now increase incrementally by 3 as you continue to use the spell.
- When loading a saved game, the player's name will no longer be missing from the storyline letters.
Patch Notes Release Version 1.0
Released: Sunday March 17, 2013
- Added all of the remaining story letters.
- All Boss and Strong enemies have had their Energy reduced to be consistent with other enemies at their level.
- Alec Trevelyan's health has been reduced from 4238 to 4000.
- Swiper's health has been increased from 6398 to 6500.
- Swiper's Swiping has been increased from a fixed amount of 3 blood to a maximum amount of 5 blood.
- The Ultimate Evil's health has been reduced from 9080 to 9000.
Patch Notes Beta Version 1.5
- Added the story letters 6 - 10
- A hint has been added to the game regarding how to find The Secret Arena.
- "of Knowledge" weapon suffix will begin to appear at level 15 rather than at level 20.
- "Firey" weapon prefix will begin to appear at level 15 rather than at level 20.
- "Scorching" weapon prefix will begin to appear at level 25 rather than at level 20.
- New weapon suffixes "of Draining" and "of Exhaustion" will grant the benefit of additional energy used per enemy movement.
- When starting a new game, the default playername will be the most recent playername that you've used.
- Level 4 letter has been reworded.
- All spells now include: "(Right-click for Description)" when the player's mouse is over the spell in the spellbook.
- An alert now appears when the spellbook becomes available.
Patch Notes Beta Version 1.4
- The Queen Bee's health has been increased from 192 to 200.
- The Dragon's melee damage has been reduced from 48 to 36.
- The Dragon's ranged damage has been reduced from 36 to 24.
- The Dragon's ranged attack range has been reduced from 5 to 3.
- The Dragon's health has been increased from 452 to 500.
- The Grim Reaper's health has been reduced from 1034 to 1000.
- The Emperor's health has been reduced from 2575 to 2500.
- When an enemy is exhausted, it now loses the following immunities:
- Immune to Ranged Attacks
- Immune to Spells
- Immune to Fire
- Immune to Magic Attacks
- The maximum health increased from an HP block has been increased from 67% to 75% of the player's health.
- The number of Full Heals the player starts with has increased from 0 to 3.
- Spells are now available at level 10 rather than at level 12.
- Hadouken base damage has been reduced from 350 to 250.
- Arcane Torrent base damage per hit has been reduced from 350 to 250.
- Lightning Strike base damage has been reduced from 2500 to 1750.
- Some typos have been corrected.
- All cells are now protected so users cannot change any cells without the password.